Stop spending so much on electricity in Summer
Save your money: Summer means high energy consumption and high electricity bills.
- Switch off the fan Unnecessary time.
- Dont Use your dishwasher(save more energy, money, water and time than hand washing.)
- Air-dry your dishes (open the door just a crack and let your dishes air-dry. Or, if your dishwasher has an air-dry setting, use it.)
- Use a smarter bulb (Reduce energy consumption: If you haven’t switched to LED lighting, now is the time.)
- Turn off the burner a little early
- Keep your oven closed
- Use a smart plug
- Turn off unnecessary lights
- Take shorter showers
- Turn water off when shaving, washing hands, brushing teeth
- Unplug unused electronics
- Turn off the unnecessary air conditioner
- Recycle or donate that old electronics
- Manage your thermostat
- Be strategic with window coverings
- Turn off the unnecessary refrigeration
- Buy Energy Star appliances
- Make your home smarter
- Purchase energy-efficient appliances
- Close your chimney flue
- Reduce TV watching time
- Install energy-efficient windows
- Install solar panels(solar power for the environment and for your wallet)
- Ask about discounted rates
- Analyse your bill.
Proven Ways to Save Electricity bill by 50% for My House
I’m always looking for tips and tricks to lower my monthly electrical bill. So if we look at an annual energy bill for a typical single-family home, you can see that most of it are spent on heating, cooling, water heating, your appliances, lighting, and electronics!
So I’ll give you guys 10 easy ways to lower those utility bills! So first of all, maybe you’ve heard of phantom power. Phantom power is basically your electronics using energy even when they’re not in use. To remedy this, you can unplug the unused electronic devices, or better yet, connect them to a power strip and when not in use, just turn off the power switch.
Next, if you have an HVAC system, you have to make sure to change your air filter regularly. This will improve the efficiency of your machine and lower your running costs as well. Check your user’s manual to know at which frequency you’re supposed to change the filter.
Next, you can adjust your water heater temperature to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. It shouldn’t be hotter than that. Because one, it can cause scalding, and second of all you’re just wasting energy. Doing this is pretty simple, you just cut off the power to the water heater, you pop open the panels with a screwdriver, and you adjust the needle to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the panel back on, turn the power on, and you’re good to go!
Next, make sure to caulk and weatherstrip your window and door frames to plug any air leaks. This will improve your house’s energy efficiency by up to 20%. Update your appliances to newer energy-efficient models that have the Energy Star logo. You’ll save a bunch on your monthly bills! A typical example of this is to buy a front loading washing machine.
Not only does it use less water, but it’s more efficient in its energy use. Speaking about washing machines, make sure you do your laundry using cold water. That will save a bunch of money because you’re not wasting hot water. Also, make sure you run full loads. So instead of doing multiple small loads, do one big load.
So another awesome way to save is to lower your temperature when you’re going to sleep at night. During the winter months, you want that temperature to be roughly 63 degrees Fahrenheit or 17 degrees Celsius. Many scientific reports have proven that keeping your body cool at night is conducive to good sleep! So that’s an added bonus.
During those hot summer days, you can increase the ambient temperature to 72 degrees Fahrenheit or 22 degrees Celsius, so you’re not wasting your air conditioning’s energy cooling the house too much. Now another great way to cut costs is to buy programmable thermostats. So that way, during winter, you can set it to lower the house’s temperature when you’re not at home.
So those 8 to 10 hours that you’re not actually in your house you’ll be saving money because you’re not overly heating the house and wasting energy! So the next cool tip is to change all your regular light bulbs which are incandescent to some compact fluorescent models or even better, LED.
Now that will save you a bunch of money because for example, a standard 60 Watt bulb can be replaced by the equivalent 13 Watt compact fluorescent or greater yet, 9 Watt LED equivalent. So you’re saving 4 to 6 times the energy! That will have a direct impact on your monthly bills.
Now the last and final tip is to put a timer on interior or exterior lights that you have the tendency to leave open for longer periods of time for security purposes. That way, when you go to sleep, they simply turn off and you don’t even have to think about it! So that’s it for my tips and tricks on how to save on your monthly utility bills.
Lower Your Electricity Bill This Summer
- Turn off your air conditioner when you don’t need it.
- Use a programmable thermostat.
- Switch to ENERGY STAR appliances.
- Check for thorough home insulation.
- Clean your air conditioning vents and units.
- Turn on your ceiling fan.
- Take advantage of natural ventilation.